HIM Assistant Director
Department: HIM/Medical Records
Status/Schedule: Full Time
For more information contact: Cynthia Barrow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education: Associate's degree required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience: Minimum 1 year of HIM experience required. 2 or more years HIM experience preferred. Minimum 1 year of healthcare management experience strongly preferred.
- Additional Requirements: Current RHIA/RHIT. CCS recommended.
- The Assistant HIM Director Responsible for oversight of the coding specialists and the hospital coding functions.
- Codes records following accepted coding guidelines, correct coding initiatives, standards of ethical coding and policies and procedures. Assures appropriate documentation is available for complete and accurate coding. Queries provider or appropriate staff for coding clarification as required and obtains necessary documentation as indicated. Checks for medical necessity for required tests and codes based on documentation in the record. Verifies APC's. Routes charts to appropriate locations and logs chart location in CPSI if indicated. Accesses eCw for coding clarification / medical necessity concerns. Works with applicable staff to resolve issues with medical necessity and/or other coding issues.
- Performs regular coding audits and provides follow-up reports and education, as indicated.
- Ensures coding specialists’ staff are provided with training and education and are proficient in their respective areas. This includes but is not limited to personnel decisions (hiring), training, ensuring staff credentials are current, and monitoring productivity and accuracy and timeliness.
- Monitors medical necessity (both updates and coding issues), claim denials, and TruBridge assignments.
- Monitors the DNFB process to maintain DNFB at 5 days or less. This includes running and monitoring reports, working with staff for resolution of issues contributing to unbilled accounts and consulting medical staff as necessary.
- Works on the development, implementation and maintenance of coding policies and procedures to ensure effective operations and compliance with existing standards, coding guidelines and other regulatory agencies.
- Works closely with HIM operations, medical staff, ancillary departments, Patient Financial Services, administration and the compliance officer to ensure optimal compliance and efficiencies in the billing cycle process.
- Member of the Revenue Cycle team, bringing operational experience as well as technical knowledge to support the revenue cycle processes, including knowledge of the Charge Master, ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS codes, documentation capture, compliant coding practices and the billing process.
- Under the immediate direction of the HIM Director, the Assistant HIM Director will assist the Director with HIM operational planning, budget and daily workflow processes.
- Works with the HIM Director to build a cohesive department and meet established departmental performance measures. This includes independent judgments / actions in administrative matters.
- Assists with the management of the hospital based HIM staff, if required.
- Works with HIM Director to ensure policies, procedures, bylaws specific to HIM, etc. are compliant and up to date. This includes, but is not limited to, knowledge of federal, state and organization policy, bylaws, rules and regulations, and Joint Commission standards as well as knowledge of Policy Tech and the Common Share applications for our organization.
- Provides, and/or assists in providing medical records training and education to medical staff members and to other clinical and ancillary personnel.
- Participates in communication and customer service efforts with HIM personnel, departments, leadership, and medical staff.
- Covers various positions as required during absences or as necessary to maintain departmental operations. This is inclusive of managing hospital based HIM operations including, but not limited to, record pick up, reconciliation and processing, release of information request processing, document imaging, transcription, MPI integrity, and working with leadership and the medical staff.
- Recommends staff objectives as well as quality and/or performance improvement initiatives.
- Secondary contact for external agencies (viewing of records, cancer registry, KODA, etc.).
- Works on special projects as assigned by the Director.
- Assumes the responsibilities for the Department in the absence of the Director.
- Responsible for HIPAA Privacy.
- See separate job description for HIPAA Privacy Officer.
- Other duties as assigned.